Swyddi Tanysgrifio i Swyddi Blog Treftadaeth Cymru News      Pob Sylw Tanysgrifio i Heritage of Wales Sylwadau Blog Newyddion     English

Friday 28 June 2013

My first week in the role of Mapping Officer at the Royal Commission






My name is Jon Dollery and I’m the new Mapping Officer at the Royal Commission. Being a new member of the team and new to the Commission, I thought it would be a good idea to post a blog about my first week and to share with you my experiences and the type of work that I have been doing.

As many of you will know, the first day starting anywhere can be quite daunting, no more so than for myself starting at the Royal Commission! In the past, I have been involved with archaeological excavations in and around Wales. My most recent experience involved running the archaeological excavations at the National Botanic Garden of Wales, I have also had the opportunity to work alongside some of the Commission’s staff as well as hearing about some of the Commission's amazing partner projects.

At 9:30, Monday 17 June, staring up at the Commission’s offices in Aberystwyth, I felt extremely nervous to say the least. Luckily everyone within the office was really supportive and my first day flew by. In the morning I started my induction to learn about the Do’s and Don’ts of working within the office. In the afternoon I was introduced to the team I will be working with - the Data and Technology Team - and everyone was very friendly.

On Tuesday I started work on a project, involving aerial photographic mapping in conjunction with the Uplands Archaeology Initiative. My role in this project will be to use the aerial photographic collections within the Commission and GIS software to identify potential archaeological features that have so far not been discovered, which I can honestly say is one of the best jobs in the world! The area I have been looking at is residual moorland within north Monmouthshire which has some interesting archaeology. So far, I have found a few circular enclosures, lots of peat cutting trenches, a few potential sites for buildings as well as lots and lots of pillow mounds (rabbit warrens).

Also during the week, I completed the induction programme which has been very useful. I have met lots of new faces and have had a tantalising glimpse of future projects that I’ll hopefully be involved with... I can’t say much more really... apart from watch this space; July and August are going to be brilliant!

Tanysgrifiwch i Newyddion Treftadaeth Cymru a chofrestrwch ar gyfer yr RSS porthiant llawn: cliciwch y botwm RSS hwn Subscribe to Heritage of Wales News Blog Posts a thanysgrifiwch!

Rydym hefyd ar gael ar: Facebook Twitter Flickr
Twitter Hashtag: #RCAHMWales

Share this post:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

www.rcahmw.gov.uk
Please comment and let us know your views or your news. Remember that what you write can be read by everyone. RCAHMW reserves the right not to publish offensive or inaccurate material.

LinkWithin